2021 Vitality London 10,000 FAQs
Please note the below FAQs refer to the 2021 event, which took place on Sunday 11 July.
The Vitality London 10,000 will be back at its central London location in 2022 – please check back for details later in the year.
Hatfield Park Event FAQs
- Q. Will the government’s delay to the end of Covid-19 restrictions until 19 July 2021 affect the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park?
A. No. The government guidance for Safe Sport under roadmap stage 3 (the stage that we will be in on Event Day) allows mass participation running events, like the Vitality London 10,000, to go ahead and we will deliver a safe, secure event on Sunday 11 July.
- Q. When does the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park take place?
A. Sunday 11 July 2021. There will be two 10K events on the day: a non-socially distanced race at 09:00 and a socially distanced one at 10:45. Runners need to choose which race they’d like to take part in when they enter.
- Q. Will there still be a non-socially distanced race following the government’s delay to the end of Covid-19 restrictions?
A. Yes. The government guidance for Safe Sport under stage 3 allows mass participation running events to go ahead using the framework developed in conjunction with British Athletics. Our non-socially distanced races still have wave starts and many mitigations in places to ensure they are safe.
- Q. What are the differences between the socially distanced race at 10:45 and the non-socially distanced race at 09:00?
A. At the socially distanced race at 10:45, runners will start in pairs at two-second intervals, which will create more space throughout the race route. At the non-socially distanced race at 09:00, there will be a mass start with waves of 1,000 runners and a carefully planned start process. The Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park is fully compliant with Run Britain's published guidelines for running events during Covid-19 restrictions.
- Q. Will I need to wear a face covering while I am at the venue for the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park?
A. No, there is no requirement to wear a face covering when outdoors. Of course you may wear a face covering outdoors should you choose to do so.
- Q. Where is it held?
A. The Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park is held in the beautiful grounds of Hatfield House, in the Hertfordshire countryside.
- Q. What is the course like?
A. The course covers 10 kilometres from start to finish. It is a mixture of on- and off-road tracks and trails, with some undulating segments.
- Q. Is the route of the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park wheelchair accessible?
A. No, unfortunately the 10K event route at Hatfield Park is not wheelchair accessible. The one-mile route for the Vitality Mile on the afternoon of Sunday 11 July is wheelchair accessible.
- Q. How do I enter the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park?
A.Entries into the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park are now closed.
- Q. What is the minimum age of entry?
A. Entrants must be at least 15 years old on the day of the event.
- How much does it cost to enter the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park?
A. Entry costs £39 (with a £2 discount for British Athletics registered running club members). All finishers will receive the 2021 Vitality London 10,000 souvenir medal and New Balance technical T-shirt (worth £35).
- Q. My friend/family member has a place in the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park but is unable to run; can I run using their entry?
A. No. You may not transfer places in the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park under any circumstances (see terms and conditions of entry). Each runner provides any personal medical information and their emergency contact details and it is imperative this is accurate for each person. Anyone attempting to run using another person’s entry will be disqualified and banned for life from the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park and all other events organised by London Marathon Events Limited.
- Q. I’ve changed my mind about which race I want to take part in – can I transfer my entry to the socially distanced race (or vice versa)?
A. No, unfortunately it’s not possible to change races. We carefully allocate start waves and entry and exit times and it’s not possible to change these.
- Q. Do I need to provide a negative Covid-19 test to take part?
A. No, this is not required, but we encourage participants take a lateral flow test on Saturday 10 July. If this is positive, or you are feeling unwell or displaying Covid-19 symptoms, you should stay at home. We will provide a full refund of the entry fee you paid if you’re unable to attend due to testing positive for Covid-19 or if you’re told to self-isolate by the NHS Test and Trace App.
- Q. Do I need to have had a Covid-19 vaccination to take part?
A. No, this is not required.
- Q. I am ill, injured or unable to run – what do I do?
A. If you are ill or injured we advise you NOT to take part.
- Q. Am I entitled to a refund if I am not able to take part in the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park?
A. Runners who decide not to take part are not entitled to a refund, as per the terms and conditions of entry. However, if the event is cancelled or postponed for any reason you will be offered a refund of the entry fee you paid. We will also provide a full refund of the entry fee you paid if you’re unable to attend due to testing positive for Covid-19 or if you’re told to self-isolate by the NHS Test and Trace App.
- Q. Can I change my start wave/time to be with a friend or family member?
A. No, unfortunately you cannot change the start wave you are allocated. Start waves are carefully allocated by organisers and cannot be changed under any circumstances.
- Q. Can I take part in my racing wheelchair or day chair?
A. The Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park takes place on an undulating and partially off-road course and it is therefore not accessible for racing wheelchairs or day chairs. Wheelchair users are very welcome to take part in the Vitality Mile, which takes place on the afternoon of Sunday 11 July.
- Q. I have moved since entering Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park (or the original Vitality London 10,000 event). How do I let you know my change of address?
A. Please click on the link in your confirmation email to make the change straight away.
- Q. What is the cut-off time for finishing the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park?
A. The cut-off time is two hours.
- Q. Will I receive a T-shirt and medal after the race?
A. Yes, you will receive the 2021 Vitality London 10,000 souvenir medal and New Balance technical T-shirt (worth £35). Please note the finisher medal and T-shirt are the same as for the 2021 virtual Vitality London 10,000, which took place from Saturday 29 May until Sunday 13 June.
Your event pack
- Q. I’ve signed up; when will I receive my event pack?
A. We will post your event pack to you via Royal Mail. If your Event Pack does not arrive by Event Day or you are missing any items, come and see us at the Information Point in the Family Fun Zone at Hatfield Park on the day and we will be happy to help.
- Q. What will be included in my event pack?
A. Your event pack will include your running number, kitbag, timing chip and confirmation of other details such as your start wave.
- Q. What time does the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park start?
A. The non-socially distanced race will start at 09:00. The socially distanced race will start at 10:45, but the release of participants will be carefully staggered to allow for social distancing on the course. We are finalising details around the start times so please check back here later for more information and full information will be emailed to you before Event Day.
- Q. Will drinks be provided on the route?
A. Yes, Buxton Natural Mineral Water will be available at a drinks station between 4K and 5K, and will also be available at the Finish.
- Q. Am I allowed to wear headphones?
A. Yes you can wear headphones but please be aware of other runners and listen out for instructions from event staff.
- Q. Where is the finish area?
A. The course starts and finishes within the Hatfield House grounds.
- Q. Will there be a baggage drop?
A. Yes, you will be sent a kitbag in your event pack in advance. You can use this kitbag to leave your belongings in the baggage area while you take part in the event.
- Q. What is the nearest station to Hatfield Park?
A. Hatfield railway station is nearest to the event – in fact the pedestrian entrance to Hatfield House is opposite it. The station is served by fast trains from London’s Kings Cross (20 minutes) and a stopping service from Moorgate. In the other direction, trains also go to Cambridge (fast service) and Welwyn Garden City (stopping service).
- Q. Do buses stop near Hatfield Park?
A. Yes – Hatfield station is served by route 301 and 302 to St Albans and Hemel Hempstead and 724 to St Albans, Watford and Heathrow Airport.
- Q. Can I bring my bike to the event?
A. You are welcome to get to the Hatfield area by bicycle. However, please be aware that there will not be a secure bike park at the event, and the venue does not allow cycling in some areas of its grounds. Therefore, if you are cycling to Hatfield, we advise you to use dedicated cycle racks in the town centre to secure your bike and then complete your journey on foot. Please be aware that the security of your bike is your responsibility.
- Q. Can I travel to Hatfield Park by car?
A. Parking will be provided at Hatfield Park and you can request this when entering. We will provide guidance on specific details, such as arrival times, in the run-up to Event Day, so please check back here later for further information.
- Q. Which way should I come by car?
A. Car parking for the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park will be split between three car parks: Car Parks 1, 3 and 4. Car Park 1 is situated at the estate’s Sawmill entrance, off the A414 Hertford Road, westbound. Car Parks 3 and 4 are situated off the A1000.
Please ignore the brown Hatfield House tourist signs – instead, look out for our traffic signs directing you to your car park, we will let you know which car park you have been allocated via email in the run-up to the event.
- Q. Will I receive a T-shirt and medal after the race?
A. Yes, you will receive the 2021 Vitality London 10,000 souvenir medal and New Balance technical T-shirt (worth £35). Please note the finisher medal and T-shirt are the same as for the 2021 virtual Vitality London 10,000 taking place from Saturday 29 May until Sunday 6 June.
- Q. What are the options for participants fundraising for my charity who secured their own place in the Vitality London 10,000?
- A. The participant can use their place in the rescheduled event at Hatfield Park on Sunday 11 July
- Or they can rollover their place to the 2022 event at no extra cost
- Or they can request a full refund
- Q. What are the options for participants who have secured their place through my charity?
- A. The participant can use the place in the rescheduled event at Hatfield Park on Sunday 11 July (which gives them more time to fundraise during the run-up to Event Day). Note that existing charity entrants will need to access their entry form via their original confirmation email to complete the necessary fields to secure their place at Hatfield Park
- Or, if your participant is not able to take part in the rescheduled event, your charity will be able to assign the place to another runner
- Or you can allow your participant to defer and take part in the event in 2022
- Or, if your charity bought the place directly from London Marathon Events or through Realbuzz (in 2020 or 2021) you can apply for a refund
- Q. Are all of my participants guaranteed a place in the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park?
A. No – due to a reduced capacity at Hatfield Park, entries in the rescheduled event will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Existing charity entrants will need to access their entry form via their original confirmation email to complete the necessary fields to secure their place at Hatfield Park. If you have participants who are not already registered, we recommend adding them to your console as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
- Q. What will happen once the event capacity has been reached?
A. Entries for the event will close when capacity has been reached or by the final deadline of 16:00 on Monday 5 July, whichever comes first. If capacity is reached before 5 July, you will be able to remove participants until this time, but you will not be able to allocate additional entries and any existing participants who have not updated their entry, will no longer be able to do so.
- Q. Do I have to choose the same option for all my charity’s entries?
A. No – you may choose to split your entries in the way which works best for your organisation. If you would like to use a portion of your entries for the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park, your remaining entries will be eligible to defer or refund.
- Q. What will happen to our unused charity entries?
A. Unused charity entries for the Vitality London 10,000 will be eligible to defer or to request a refund, depending on how and when your places were purchased. We will contact you after 11 July to confirm the process for deferring or requesting a refund for any unused entries.
- Q. When is an entry classified as ‘used’?
A. Charity entries are considered used once a participant crosses the start line. Any unfilled entries or allocated entries where a participant does not start the event will be classed as unused and eligible to defer or refund.
Virtual Event FAQs
- Q. What is the virtual Vitality London 10,000 entry fee?
A. The entry fee is £19 for participants who live in the UK – this includes the original finisher medal and New Balance performance finisher T-shirt (retail value £35). If you live outside the UK the entry fee is £29, which includes an extra £10 to cover packing and overseas postage of your medal and T-shirt.
- Q. When is the closing date for entering the virtual Vitality London 10,000?
A. The entry system closed at 16:00 on Friday 28 May.
- Q. When is the event taking place?
A. The event week for the virtual Vitality London 10,000 was from Saturday 29 May to Sunday 13 June.
- Q. How old do you have to be to enter?
A. You’ll need to be aged 15 or over on Saturday 29 May 2021 in order to enter the virtual Vitality London 10,000.
- Q. Will I receive a medal and finisher T-shirt?
A. Yes, if you uploaded evidence that you had completed your 10K by Sunday 20 June, you will be sent the original Vitality London 10,000 finisher medal and New Balance performance finisher T-shirt (retail value £35).
- Q. Do I need to download an app to take part?
A. No, there is no app for the Vitality London 10,000.
- Q. Will I receive a running number?
A.Yes, we want our virtual entrants to have the same experience as participants in the mass event, so everyone who entered by Sunday 9 May was sent an official running number in the post prior to event week. Participants who entered closer to event week could download a running number to print out and wear.
- Q. Will there be Final Instructions?
A. Yes, we emailed all participants a Runner Checklist prior to event week, which told you everything you need to know.
- How will I prove I have completed my 10K?
A. You will be able to upload evidence to our registration system after you have completed your 10K. It will be a simple process and full details were emailed to participants in May. Please note the upload system is now clsoed.
- Q. Can I run on a treadmill?
A. Yes, you can complete the virtual Vitality London 10,000 on a treadmill.
- Q. I had a place in the Vitality London 10,000, which is now taking place at Hatfield Park. I would prefer to transfer my entry to the virtual Vitality London 10,000 – can I do this?
A. We understand that you may wish to transfer your entry in these uncertain times, however with the national vaccination programme underway and the ongoing opening up of restrictions in England, we’re very optimistic that we’ll be able to hold the Vitality London 10,000 at Hatfield Park on July 11. You should have received an email with details of your options for your entry by the end of Wednesday 26 May. Rest assured, should we be unable to hold the Hatfield Park event, you will be offered the opportunity to transfer your entry to the 2022 event or get a full refund. However, we are not able to transfer any entries at this stage, as outlined in the terms and conditions of entry.
- Q. Can I take part in both the virtual Vitality London 10,000 and the Hatfield Park event?
A. It is possible to enter both events. However, please note that this would mean you would receive the same finisher’s medal and T-shirt twice.